Banjar Valley
1860 Captain James Forsyth mentions the valley in his book "The Highlands of Central India"
1879 Declared Reserve Forests with no special attention to wildlife
Up to 1933 Remains a shooting block
1933 Notified as an absolute sanctuary (233 sq. km.)
1943 Sanctuary area reduced to 134 sq. km.
1945 250 chital shot near the Shrawantal area
1947 to 1951 The Maharaj Kumar of Vijayanagaram shot 30 tigers
1952 Sanctuary area enlarged to 252 sq. km.
1955 Declared a National Park (252.97 sq. km.)
1964 65.39 sq. km. added to the National Park
1970 128.24 sq. km. added to the National Park, enlarging it to 446.6 sq. km.
1973 Kanha declared a Tiger Reserve
1976 Notification of the Buffer Zone
1985 The filming of "The Land of the Tiger"
1991 The Kanha interpretation centre opened to visitors
1995 Buffer Zone brought under the unified control of the Field Director
2007 Re-notification of the National Park as the Core Zone
Hallon Valley
1860 Captain James Forsyth describes his stay at Topla village near Supkhar in "The Highlands of Central India"
1890 Declared Reserve Forests with no special attention to wildlife
1931 District Officers' shooting block
1935 Declared the Supkhar sanctuary (around 400 sq. km.)
1937 Sanctuary reduced to around 60 sq. km.
1942 Sanctuary de-notified
1974 The Supkhar area declared a sanctuary (487.72 sq. km.)
1976 The Supkhar sanctuary added to the National Park, enlarging it to 940 sq. km.
1976 Notification of the Buffer Zone
1995 The Buffer Zone brought under the unified control of the Field Director
2000 The Chilpi range of the Buffer Zone transferred to Chhattisgarh under reorganization of Madhya Pradesh
2007 Re-notification of the National Park as the Core Zone
2010 Around 148 sq. km. area of the Motinala (T) range added to the Buffer Zone enlarging it to 1134 sq. km.